A Lesson On Faith

Our final destination, Kasana Children's Center, where we conducted women's ministry events.
When our team began to meet to prepare for the trip, we were brainstorming ways we might want to serve.  Out of my mouth came, "What about women's ministry?"  Then Steve says, "Sounds great, Could you lead that?"

This was intimidating to me for a couple reasons.  First, I was one of the youngest women on the team.  Also, I don't like speaking in front of people!  I'll do it, but it is not my favorite thing to do.  I'd much rather grab a cup of coffee and talk with a few people.  I don't like being in the spotlight.

I began to communicate with the women's ministry coordinator in Uganda.  The theme for the year and one which we were asked to stay within is "Turning Our Hearts Towards Home".  She explained this as things like, housekeeping, hospitality, etc.  I was thinking, "I can barely keep up with my own home.  How am I going to teach others how to do this, especially in a different cultural context!?"

As we began to prepare for one event, one team member, Virginia, who was once living at Kasana, said, "These women could probably benefit from a week of classes, not just one event."  Then we began preparing for 3 events!

In the midst of preparing for the lessons, doubts began to surface.  Would these women really learn anything or would it go one ear and out the other?  Is it really going to be effective for an outside western team to teach?  So, we prayed that the lessons would penetrate the heart and that God would keep us focused on what He wanted us to share.

We were led to keep the first lesson strictly focused on Biblical principles to give foundation to the remaining practical lessons.  Without God's word to back up the importance of what can sometimes be viewed as menial tasks, this is all for nothing.

We also felt it would be very important to co-teach with other team members and to get valuable cultural insight from a Ugandan.  So, for each lesson we had an older and younger team member teach together.  For the practical lesson, we were joined by Brenda, assistant guesthouse manager at Kasana.  She is a Ugandan and also has a degree in hospitality.  Her knowledge and participation was so valuable!

Our wonderful team!  Many wise women in this group!

In Uganda, for both events I was actively leading, I felt fatigued, and had a headache.  The last thing I wanted to do was be in front of people.  I'd rather have been laying down, alone, in my room!  But, God had placed me there for His purpose so I pushed through.

Both classes were really well received.  The class that I co-taught, on practical cleaning and organizing, was really encouraging to me because when we were demonstrating things, the women were getting excited and asking lots of questions.  The next day I heard from someone, "What is going on, all the women in the village are cleaning!".

I think God answered our prayers mightily.  God used this challenge to bless the women at Kasana and to also teach me!  I not only learned some things while preparing my lesson, but God taught me to have faith in what He calls us to.

The last women's ministry event and worship night really blessed my soul.  We had around 80 women packed into the guesthouse, worshiping together and also making something beautiful for their homes.

       

In the end, something which initially really challenged me and quite honestly scared me, really blessed me and the women at Kasana!  God is good!

"Truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Mercies

Kobwin - Light Meets the Darkness

Reflecting On Our Calling - 5 Years with NHUM!