Serving with NHUM update

It has been a while since I updated you all - since I got back from Uganda!

The fall is always very busy for me as I now oversee sponsorship promotion for the U.S. and Orphan Sunday is always the 2nd Sunday of November.  Most churches highlight ways to care for orphans both locally and abroad during this time.  We had the most church events scheduled ever this fall with 8 just in October and November and as a result we were able to connect more sponsors with children in Uganda.

Here are a few highlights from this year's events:

I was able to help at the Mountain Springs Church missions weekend again this year.  They transform their lobby to highlight their different missions partnerships and we had our very own "hut" to visit with people.  They sent a medical mission team in June and it was a joy to witness their enthusiasm for NHU as they shared with people about New Hope.

Mt Springs "hut" for Uganda.

We had the opportunity to share at our church over 3 Sundays about NHU leading up to Orphan Sunday.  Two friends from the team that I went with in February shared the first 2 weeks and then Robert and I shared our personal sponsorship story the last week.  It was encouraging to talk with people afterwards and to also connect with some who had already heard of New Hope!

Robert and I speaking at Connection Church in Spearfish.
We also did an event at Belle Fourche Connection Church on a Wednesday night.  We served a Ugandan meal, shared about New Hope Uganda, sponsorship, and had a time of worship.  My friend did an amazing job sharing her personal testimony of her involvement with NHU and sponsorship.  We also had many encouraging conversations after the event.

My favorite part of my job is building relationships with our sponsors and seeing how God works through our sponsorship program!  There is much to be thankful for this year!

As I look to next year I am thankful that I will have a sole focus of sponsorship.  The biggest change in 2018 was that I reduced my hours to half-time so that I could invest more time into my family.  It has been difficult to juggle both marketing and sponsorship.  So, I am excited to invest all my work time into doing one thing - and hopefully well!

A quick personal update:

We have been running at full speed for too long and desperately needed a vacation.  We already planned to make it out to San Diego this year so Gwen could meet her great-grandma Winterstein and Aunt Cheri so we extended it and turned it into a long family road trip.  We enjoyed seeing the sites along the way (Rocky Mountains and the Grand Canyon), seeing friends, and most of all seeing family.  We also spent a day at the San Diego Zoo which the kids loved!

At the Grand Canyon
We also spent time with my side of the family for Thanksgiving with nearly 20 people for Thanksgiving dinner!  The kids enjoyed all the attention and playing with their cousin Lydia.

For the next few months we are looking forward to getting back into a good routine at home and hoping the cold-flu season doesn't hit us as hard as last year!  We have been enjoying creating new Christmas traditions, making new friends in our community, and we are thankful for God's grace and abundant provision!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Mercies

Kobwin - Light Meets the Darkness

Reflecting On Our Calling - 5 Years with NHUM!