A Day in the Life of a Work-from-home Mom

When I explain to people that I work 30 hours a week from home with my kids I hear a lot of different responses.  I hear everything from, "You are so lucky" to "How could you do that?".  In response to these comments I wanted to give you a glimpse into my day.

My best days begin with an early rise, reading the word, going on a jog, and a cup of coffee all before my kids wake up at 6:30am!  Some mornings are more successful than others, but this is at least my aim!

An ideal start to my day, reading the word outside on a beautiful day with coffee!

The next hour is very chaotic, but I make it through with the help of my husband!  We try to dress the kids and all eat breakfast before 7:30.  This often includes Soren waking up screaming (not a morning person like his momma used to be!).  Then I try and rush him to the bathroom before any accidents (recently potty trained)!  After wrestling a "monkey baby" to the ground (so wiggly when I change her) and hoping Soren puts on his clothes the right way, we congregate in the kitchen.  While I'm getting everyone their breakfast Soren is often constantly reminding me he's hungry and the baby is whining at the same time!  One way or another we all eventually make it to the table and all are kinda fed (half of the breakfast ends up on the floor),

After breakfast our wonderful nanny arrives and I try to get as much work done as I can while I have her for 3 hours!  A lot of this time is spent in Skype meetings since I can work in my office with the door closed.

Then comes 10:30, I make lunch for my kiddos and encourage eating for the next hour... Then some stories, cuddles, (and other times a near wrestling match) and off to nap time.  (This is another golden window of opportunity to work!)

My kids wake up mid-afternoon and then I usually have 1-2 more hours to get in, which often takes 2-3 as my kids are running around playing and needing things like most kids do!  Sometimes I sit on my back deck watching the kids play, Other days, Goldie and Bear gets turned on for an hour so I can finish up quickly.  And other days I attempt to work while my kids are around me playing and often interrupting me (reminding me of why I do this). 

My little motivators <3

You see I could look at my kids as an obstacle to my work.  But, when I think of those precious children on the other side of the world and then look at mine I am never more motivated.  Our Father loves His children and He has placed two vitally crucial mission fields in my life: one right inside my home, and one for fatherless children in Uganda.  

So yes, I am lucky and  blessed beyond measure, I get to do a job right from my home and be with my kids.  Sometimes I can get frustrated, sometimes it's not perfect, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love my job and I love being with my kids!

My motivators on the other side of the word!

“Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God." Mark 10:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Mercies

Kobwin - Light Meets the Darkness

Reflecting On Our Calling - 5 Years with NHUM!