An Overdue Update

I have a long overdue update.  Last time I wrote a blog post we had just returned from Uganda, just had our 2nd baby, and my role with New Hope Uganda Ministries looked very different.  I would like to apologize to all of you for being one of the world's worst communicators.

There's so much I'd like to say and it has been so difficult to get into one blog post.  I have started writing a handful of times and given up again and again.  I'll probably leave some things out here, but the purpose of this blog post is to update you all on our life and ministry.  It's not possible for me to fill you in on all the details.  If you have any questions, please reach out to us and we'd love to talk!

This time last year, both the president and my coworker were called away from NHU.  I'm thankful for the time they did serve with us and hope the best for them in their new endeavors.  Although, the timing was not good for me because my maternity leave was about ready to start.

Our family in August 2016.  We were married in 2012 behind the house in this picture.

Johnny Karls stepped in as interim president. He's also a board member and I very much appreciate his wise leadership.  We were able to find a dedicated volunteer to cover the necessities so I could enjoy my maternity leave and bond with our baby Gwen. I was very silent during these few months of uncertainty.  It was one of the most difficult times of my life.  Looking back, I can say though that this difficulty brought the most growth of any year I can remember.  The Lord reminded me again and again of His faithfulness to provide for our every need.  Now NHUM is blessed to have a full staff of 7 employees and 2 dedicated volunteers!

The new U.S. staff plus a few others.  From the left, Jay & Vicki Dangers (founders), Chip & Corinne Mattingly (bookkeeper), next to her on the left is Jennie Dangers (missionary), Robert, Gwen, and myself (Operations & Sponsorship), Autumn & Josiah Dangers (Director of Missionary Care & Development), Bridget & Dan Jensen (Donor Relations), bottom right Johnny (Interim President) & Kathleen Karls.

Not pictured: Marrisa Svaleson (Executive Assistant to the President) and Steve Agosto (Donor Relations)

In addition to the struggles stateside, several missionaries in Uganda left in 2015/2016.  It has been a season of refinement and growth for the ministry as a whole.  It hasn't been easy, but an opportunity to grow and become better so that we can serve more children and with excellence.  We're working with a professional organizational development consultant, Ken Lane, who has worked with Focus on the Family during their big leadership transition after their founder, James Dobson, ended his time as their leader.  Ken Lane is doing an excellent job helping us to identify, PIPs (potential improvement points) and then helping us to address them/implement healthy change.  Not only is this a blessing in itself, but he has committed to helping NHU over the next 2 years for free!

Organizational Development Workshop with Ken Lane in September 2016.

After lots of prayer and conversations, my role looks very different with NHUM.  Before I was doing the bookkeeping with NHUM.  Now I spend half my time in operations and half my time "finding the next sponsor".

In many conversations with my husband we kept saying, it seems like the Lord keeps leading us to places where we're called to improve databases and operating systems.  This may not sound exciting, but bringing these things up to speed will benefit children in Uganda exponentially.  With these systems in place we will be able to more effectively tell more people about New Hope Uganda and therefore, bring the Fatherhood of God to more children.  Since the summer, we have launched a new website, new software, and are continuing the process of cleaning up the database.  Our work in this area has clearly been led by the Lord and we also feel we have been equipped for this role.

Robert and I with our sponsor child
in February 2016.
A huge passion of mine is global missions.  Sponsorship is a beautiful display of the global church.   Robert and I have had unforgettable experience sponsoring our "son" in Uganda and a Ugandan missionary.  Last time we left Uganda we had tears in our eyes saying good bye to our sponsor child because of the bond we have with him.  It was also truly amazing to see our missionary's family and the church her husband planted in a nearby village.  These experiences just put us in awe of how the Lord works across the globe.  My new role "to find the next sponsor" is sharing the stories of the hundreds of children we serve in the hopes that more people would begin these beautiful relationships.  These relationships grow the church and tangibly show the love of Christ to the fatherless in Uganda.

I feel my new roles are more suited towards my God-gifted passions and abilities.  I'm more excited for the work God has called me to in this season and I'm more excited for the future of New Hope Uganda!  God continues to work and children continue to be impacted by the Father's love.

More recently and exciting, the Lord blessed us with the opportunity to buy a house in Spearfish!  The NHUM office is out of our home.  I continue to feel overwhelmingly blessed to have the opportunity to work from home doing what I love.

Sometimes the most difficult times are exactly what we need.  Our Father is helping us to grow and to love Him more.  For that I am so thankful and wouldn't take back a difficult year for anything!

In Christ,

Carly (Robert, Soren, and Gwen too)

Some of the children that we serve at our Kobwin site in Uganda.  Photo credit: Ty Bloom.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Mercies

Kobwin - Light Meets the Darkness

Reflecting On Our Calling - 5 Years with NHUM!